Moving a few pieces of furniture around invites a breath of fresh energy into your home, but rearranging your home serves several practical purposes as well. Contrary to popular notions, you can rearrange your home like a pro and get Insta-worthy results without shelling out a fortune.
The best way to rearrange your home like a professional is to create a functional & clutter-free layout. Create a focal point to attract & maintain visual interest, and remember to create visual balance while being creative & eclectic in your choice of furniture, furnishing, lighting, and textures.
This article will walk you through all the things you need to consider to make rearranging your home a success. Both practical and beautiful at the same time!
The most important thing to remember when rearranging your home is balancing form and functionality. It is also critical that you follow some time and energy-saving measures to help make your task enjoyable and less draining.
Let’s discuss when you should consider rearranging your living space, and then we’ll talk about how to start rearranging, and what to keep in mind while you are at it.
When is it a Good Idea To Rearrange Your Room?
It is a good idea to rearrange your room when:
Note: This post may contain affiliate links which will take you to online retailers that sell products and services. If you click on one and buy something, I may earn from qualifying purchases. See my Affiliate Disclosure for more details.
- you need to declutter
- freshen up a space
- create room for a new piece of furniture
- re-purpose the area to serve a different function
- lessen your cleaning and dusting time.
- You can also rearrange your room to conform to Feng Shui principles.
Here are some of the benefits of rearranging your living space:
- You get the opportunity to declutter and create an area that is more relaxing and mentally peaceful.
- You can freshen up a room quickly without having to incur huge bills to tear down or paint the walls.
- You can surround yourself with objects that you treasure or those that serve a function.
- You can make a space serve more or a different function to accommodate your changing lifestyle or a growing family.
- You can cut down on cleaning time and effort by rearranging furniture and removing clutter.
- You can attract good fortune and abundance by rearranging furniture according to Feng Shui principles.
Now that we know some of the benefits, where should you start and how do you make sure you get it right first time?
Where Do You Start When Rearranging a Home?
Here’s some guidance on how to go about rearranging your home:
- Keep the function of the space in mind
- Using a 3D visualization tool to create a blueprint
- Plan the layout around the biggest piece of furniture.
Keeping these basics in mind ensures you do not end up with a dysfunctional and cluttered space. Let’s talk about each step in more detail…
#1: Keep the Function of a Space in Mind
You have so many ideas to implement. There are so many pieces of furniture and décor items you want to showcase, which makes it easy to get carried away and end up cluttering a room.
Always keep in mind the primary function of space while rearranging it.
If you are rearranging the kid’s room, ensure that you leave enough floor space for them to play. Make sure that you create storage space for their playthings. Don’t be tempted to fill the room with a chaise longue just because there is space for it. Your kids won’t use it, and it will gobble up their playing space.
If you want your living room to be a space for informal social gatherings, group the chairs and the sofas together to create a cozy and inviting space that encourages conversations.
So in summary, think about what you will use the space for and how you will use it.
#2: Use a Software Design Tool
Many furniture stores have a 3D visualization tool on their websites to help potential clients envision how various pieces of furniture will look before buying. These are free to use, and you can use such a tool to figure out how different furniture arrangements will work in your home.
- Visit the website of a furniture store with the tool.
- Choose pieces of furniture that closely match what you have at home.
- Move them around and play with different layouts.
- You can save “rooms” and share the images with your friends and family members for their opinion.
- Leave the website after you have explored all layouts you could imagine.
An online 3D visualization tool saves you time and energy that you would have otherwise spent dragging furniture around a room to find a spot where it looks and fits best.
#3: Rearrange Around the Largest Piece of Furniture
Plan your layout around the largest piece of furniture. This ensures you don’t have to squeeze it in after you have placed all the other pieces of furniture and end up with a cluttered space.
Keep the following pointers in mind:
- The furniture should be appropriately sized for the space.
- Leave some space between the furniture and the walls to create an open, breezy look.
- Place furniture so that it doesn’t block the flow of foot traffic.
What To Consider When Rearranging Your Home
You want to express your creative energy when rearranging your home. However, you must strike a balance between functionality and aesthetics, as your home must look pleasing to the eye and be a breeze to maintain and a peaceful haven for you.
Consider the following when rearranging your home:
Create or Emphasize a Focal Point
If there is a focal point in the room, such as a fireplace or a beautiful window, emphasize it by creating a seating area around it or framing it with bold wallpaper.
At other times, you may want to create a focal point, say with an ornate piece of furniture. Emphasize the focal point by placing a few plants near it or arranging the furniture to face the entrance to the room.
Keep in Mind the Flow of Foot Traffic
Plan a layout and rearrange the furniture so that you don’t bump your ankles against the legs of the coffee table when going from one corner of the room to another! Ensure that no furniture obstructs the flow of foot traffic between two doors in a room.
Consider how people will move around in a particular space.
For instance, people automatically make their way toward a couch or a sofa after entering the living room. Ensure that you place pieces of furniture like a table or an ottoman so that reaching the seating area is easy.
Create Visual Balance
Having a visual balance creates a sense of cohesion and makes a space look harmonious. You can create harmony through the size and style of furniture.
Here are some pointers to help you achieve visual balance when rearranging your home:
- Ensure there is a mix of large and small pieces of furniture.
- If you incorporate eclectic styles, ensure that they share common visual elements, such as straight or angular lines or open forms.
- Choose furnishing and textures that create a cohesive look even when you use different furniture styles.
How To Get Practical and Pleasing Results When Rearranging
A few pieces of expensive furniture or shelves full of bric-a-brac do not create a pleasing décor.
On the other hand, a practical décor is easy to maintain but can sometimes feel too stark and sterile. The key is to strike a balance between creating an aesthetically pleasing space and having a layout that is easy to navigate and keep clean.
Below are some pointers to help you get practical and pleasing results when rearranging your home:
- Arrange furniture so that cleaning is not cumbersome.
- Aim for minimalism, because de-cluttering has an immediate aesthetic impact on the look of a space.
- Create visual balance with cohesive furniture styles, and prints and patterns that do not clash.
- You can create new looks merely by altering the wallpaper, hanging new artwork, or changing the furnishing.
- Use lighting to create a mood or draw the eyes to specific pieces of objects or furniture in a room.
- You can soften a rough, exposed brick wall or stark industrial décor features like exposed plumbing with potted plants, rugs, throws, and cushions.
You can rearrange your room like a pro without hiring one or breaking your bank to tear down walls and buy new furniture.
Keep the following tips in mind:
- Use a 3D design app to visualize the layout before physically dragging, pushing, and moving objects.
- Ensure that the space does not lose its functionality.
- Consider the flow of foot traffic when rearranging.
- Rearrange around the biggest piece of furniture.
- Create visual balance.
Rebar is used to improve the tensile strength of concrete. In specific applications, welding rebar instead of using wire ties may be a requirement. But, can any type of rebar be welded? And if so,...
If hardwood floors are maintained they can last for decades without the need to be sanded back and refinished. Therefore, it’s important to clean them using methods that have been found to work...