We all hate moss on driveways and want it gone. But not all moss killers are created equal, and some will work and others won’t. So, you want to make sure when you buy a moss killer that you pick the right one. The market is flooded with different brands, and choosing the right one can be an uphill task.
The best moss killers for driveways contain only naturally occurring ingredients and have long-lasting action to prevent moss growth for up to 6 months. Among the best options are:
- 30 SECONDS cleaner
- Scotts MossEX
- Safer Brand 5325-6
- Lilli Miller
More than simply an aesthetic choice for your home, driveways are also supposed to protect your cars from any potential damage that may occur due to poor road conditions or bad weather. It is necessary to keep up with regular maintenance like moss treatment for better appearance and safety.
Choosing The Right Moss Killer For Your Driveway
There are many reasons why moss will appear on your driveways (or any other surface for that matter), such as moisture, chemicals such as oils and solvents, lack of light, and the presence of certain types of plants. The impact that moss can have on your plants and surfaces is well-known and can be significant if not dealt with promptly.
Moss growth is a problem for many homeowners. Not only is it unsightly, but its green color and soft texture can also cause accidents and damage vehicles when it grows on the surface of pavement, lawns, and driveways. Fortunately, there are several options available for controlling moss growth.
When considering the right moss killer for your driveway, consider the composition of the moss growth.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links which will take you to online retailers that sell products and services. If you click on one and buy something, I may earn from qualifying purchases. See my Affiliate Disclosure for more details.
Certain moss killers are not effective on certain types of moss.
Some moss growths are highly resilient and require a specific kind of moss-killing solution. Here are things you should consider when choosing the right moss killer:
Size Of The Driveway
The driveway size is significant when considering a product for your driveway. A Moss Killer that is not suited to the correct size will cause irreparable damage to your driveway and could result in the need to re-pave your entire surface!
You shouldn’t have to worry about having a tire break free from a patch in your driveway, nor should you have to worry about a pothole yanking off a wheel. The best solution is a moss killer net of the proper mesh strength to be applied over the entire driveway surface.
You must choose the correct moss killer for your driveway. We all want a beautiful-looking driveway, but you must be safe in the process when treating your driveway. Any chemical can be harmful if not applied properly. Whether it’s for weeds, moss, flowers, or shrubs, the best way to get the job done is to heed the safety precaution.
Since a moss remover product works by either killing or removing the moss from your driveway, it is of the utmost importance for you to choose a safe product to use. Ensure you follow the guideline correctly so that you do not end up making your driveway look worse or even destroying it.
Expert advice is essential to consider when choosing the right moss killer for your driveway. Without the help of an expert, it would be tough to determine which product will work best on your driveway.
With such a variety of great products on the market, there are many different thoughts and opinions about what works best, what doesn’t work at all, and so much more. You can do a lot of research yourself, but in the end, this information will lead you to have to try multiple treatments.
The problem is that if one treatment does not work, you have wasted your time and effort trying each of them.
What Type Of Moss Killer Is Best For You?
When choosing the best moss killer for your driveway, it is essential to remember that they are designed to kill moss, not weeds. There are many different moss killers available in most stores or online. The best type of moss killer for your driveway will depend on the location you plan to use it in. It revolves around your moss killer requirements.
Here are the top-rated moss killers:
#1: 30 SECONDS Cleaners
30 SECONDS Cleaners is a non-toxic, safe, and effective solution for moss removal in driveways. It is sold as a concentrated form that you simply dilute with water and apply directly to the area needing moss control.
This easy-to-use, instant formula means 30 seconds of work is all it takes to get rid of your pesky moss. They have been perfecting their formula for years and stand behind their product 100%. This product has a money-back guarantee.
- It is designed for moss control on sloping tiles, brickwork, and roofs with gutters and drains.
- The product is ready to use straight out of the bottle and is safe for concrete, pavers, brick, stone, artificial & natural grass.
- Has professional-grade ingredients, all-natural borax, and an all-natural pre-treatment that prevents moss growth.
- 30 SECONDS Cleaners remove moss safely and effectively with no harsh chemicals.
- It uses all-natural plant-based emulsifiers with a very low pH concentrated formula to make your moss disappear from your concrete walks and causes it to come back less often.
- It absorbs the nutrients from the moss and bleaches it right off of your stone or concrete driveway.
You can find 30 SECONDS Cleaners on Amazon here.
BIOADVANCED is another “go-to” moss killer for your driveway. It has an environmentally friendly formula and causes no damage to the concrete or asphalt around it. Additionally, because it remains in the soil instead of washing away, it kills moss for up to 6 months after application.
Studies show that BIOADVANCED remains effective for up to 6 months, even in extreme weather conditions.
This product contains no bleach, sodium hypochlorite, or harsh chemicals. BIOADVANCED quickly creates a treated area that kills moss and roots while leaving your driveway unaffected.
- Approved by government agencies to treat moss growing on roofs, retaining walls, sidewalks, curbs, and highways.
- Sold with a low-foaming moss killer formula designed to meet the performance demands of professional applicators.
- It’s VOC compliant in all states.
- It uses a patented combination of natural enzymes and amino acids to inhibit the growth of moss spores while encouraging the development of desirable plants.
- BIOADVANCED is 100% biodegradable and non-leaching, so it’s safe for people, pets, fish, and wildlife.
- It kills 150 square feet on average with just one bottle—and USDA-approved for safe use in organic gardening.
- It is ideal for homeowners concerned about the aesthetic appearance of their properties.
Check it out on Amazon here.
#3: Scotts MossEX
Scotts MossEX is a professional’s choice for driveway moss control. Homeowners use MossEX to kill moss on driveways, walkways, and patios. Scotts MossEX is not harmful to children or pets. The active ingredient in Scotts MossEX is Dimethyl disulfide which acts as a systemic plant growth regulator causing plant cells to die.
This process does not harm children, pets, or the environment making the product safe for natural areas.
- MossEX contains 100% naturally occurring ingredients, so you can enjoy your home without the harmful chemicals of some moss removal products.
- It can kill up to 98% of your moss next spring and works in various environments, from driveways to train tracks.
- It is the only weed killer that kills moss and weeds for up to 6 months!
- Its proprietary blend of ingredients, EX Microencapsulation Technology, and water-based formula make it different from other products on the market. It provides a convenient solution for killing moss in hard-to-reach areas.
Check it out at Amazon here.
Bonide All-Purpose moss and algae killer is a safe and effective solution for the permanent control of moss and algae on asphalt, concrete, and brick surfaces. This product can be used by homeowners and professional applicators, as it contains diquat dibromide as the active ingredient.
Diquat is a contact herbicide that provides permanent results from a single application. It also effectively controls other non-grass weeds growing on these surfaces.
- A recognized brand in pesticides known for its effectiveness and safety.
- It kills moss and prevents regrowth through its fast-acting formula, which penetrates cracks and holes in concrete, brick, stone, and asphalt to kill moss at the root.
- Bonide’s Dripping formula is easy to apply in order to remove moss from a driveway in no time.
- It is formulated with various active ingredients, including its own concentrated all seasons formula, an extra-potent herbicide, to eliminate the most challenging weed and moss infestations.
- Bonide offers a variety of non-toxic products that are safe for all surfaces.
- The concentrated formula comes in a 32 oz sprayer that will cover 200-300 sq. ft. It can be used as a drench with a watering can to treat areas up to 1,000.
You can find it on Amazon here.
#5: Safer Brand 5325-6
Safer Brand 5325-6 is a naturally derived, biodegradable, botanical moss control solution that effectively kills moss without harming trees or shrubbery. It is a professional strength, non-corrosive alternative to bleach, salt, and acid-based products for eliminating moss on your driveway.
Made with natural ingredients including clove oil, refined fish oil, and turmeric extract Safer Brand is safe for concrete and vegetation and leaves no streaks or stains. Besides, it is easy to use. Just apply directly to the area where the moss has grown, and it will soon be gone – guaranteed for every coin you spend on its purchase.
- It works by inhibiting the growth of moss and other weeds on the stone, brick, concrete, or asphalt surfaces.
- The formula works in all types of weather, including precipitation-free days, and won’t harm your driveway or the environment when used as directed.
- Safer Brand is a fast and effective moss killer for concrete and asphalt surfaces and another powerful ally in safeguarding your driveway from excess water.
- It has a unique formulation that works fast to kill moss, weeds, and algae.
Check it out on Amazon here.
#6: Lilli Miller Moss Out For Roof And Walks
Lilli Miller moss-out product is a top pick because of the fast action. Results can be seen within hours. This company produces a wide range of moss and weed removal products. There is bound to be one to suit your specific needs with a wide variety to choose from.
The active ingredient in this product is Ammoniated soap of fatty acids. The product is sold as a 27-oz jug. This quantity is enough to apply over a 500-square feet area. It is a spray-on formula that is easy to use, then water and forget about the problem.
- Lilly Miller contains Ammoniated soap of fatty acids, an organic and safe herbicide for natural weed control.
- Works within 24 hours.
- The product is applied as a spray for ease of use.
- The brand also has a granulated moss removal option available.
It’s available from Amazon here.
Driveway Maintenance Tips
Bright green moss is a common sight in driveways and porches. It is necessary to maintain the grass and plant beds in your driveway well. You should also know how to kill them without using chemicals aside from killing off the moss with the best moss killer for driveways.
By now, most people have realized that it is nearly impossible to get rid of all the moss on driveways. Most people also realize that trying to treat the moss will prove to be a continuous process. If you accompany it with other maintenance tips, it will help you keep the driveway in shape.
The maintenance tips provide helpful hints and recommendations to help you keep your driveway looking great! You can enhance the appearance and extend the lifespan of your driveway with some of these tips:
- Sweep, sweep, sweep!
- Get rid of grime with jet-washing.
- Mow often.
- Plant shade trees to aid in water retention.
- Keep edges neat and clean
- Put down pet-friendly de-icing salt
- Use de-icing paw guards
- Install brick pavers
- Cement walkways should be cleaned
These driveway and concrete maintenance tips will help you keep your driveway looking great. They are simple steps to take continually besides using the moss killer(s) to give the impression of a freshly laid road on your property!
These options use active ingredients such as potassium bicarbonate, copper sulfate pentahydrate, sodium hypochlorite (bleach), trisodium phosphate anhydrous, amongst others. These products have distinctive characteristics that place them as top-rated in the market.
Do due diligence first and consult your expert before choosing the right product for your needs. Consider all the factors around moss control in your driveway before selecting the best product for your needs. If you are still in doubt, contact a professional to give you additional advice.